Lockdown in Jeddah, curfew starts at 3 p.m.

Residents in Saudi Arabia are banned from entering or exiting the Jeddah governorate as of Sunday in an effort to slow the spread of the deadly coronavirus, according to a statement from the Ministry of Interior.

A recently imposed curfew will also begin at 3 p.m. instead of 7 p.m. in the governorate, said the statement from the ministry on Twitter, Saudi Press Agency (SPA) said.

The measures are the latest restrictions on movement in Saudi Arabia amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Custodian of the Two Holy Mopsques King Salman approved measures last week that banned residents in the Kingdom’s 13 regions from traveling between different areas.

Riyadh, Makkah and Madinah were also placed on lockdown as of Thursday, and curfew times were brought forward to also begin at 3 p.m. instead of 7 p.m.

The curfew exemptions still apply to those in vital public and private sectors such as security, military and media, according to SPA. Those who work in health services are also excluded from the curfew.

Malls and parks were shut down earlier this month in an effort to slow the spread of the deadly virus. Meanwhile, restaurants and cafes were banned from serving food and beverages on their premises.

Workplace attendance has also been indefinitely suspended at most private sector and government agencies, except for health, security, and military sectors.